A damaged windshield is a safety hazard for any driver. But if you know about the common causes of windshield damage, it can help you avoid the hazards that are ever present on the roads. As your local source for windshield replacement and repairs, BEAM Auto Glass can help. Here are five common causes of windshield damage you should watch out for:
- Rock chips – Small rocks or pieces of gravel can fly off the road and damage your windshield. More often than not, they only cause minor windshield damage. The best way to prevent your windshield from getting struck by a rock chip is to maintain adequate following distance from large trucks.
- Car accidents – In addition to auto body damage, car accidents often leave behind some type of windshield damage. Avoid wrecks by paying attention to the road and driving defensively.
- Temperature or air pressure changes – Quick changes in temperature and air pressure can affect your windshield. Both weaken your windshield and increase the chances that cracks can occur. If you already have windshield damage, temperature and pressure changes can cause these cracks to spread. With this in mind, make sure you repair all damage as quickly as you can to keep the problem from getting worse.
- Storm debris – Foreign objects like branches and other debris can strike your windshield during a storm. To protect your car from storm debris, cover your vehicle or place it under a shelter if you know bad weather is on the way.
- Incorrect installation – A poorly installed windshield leaves you vulnerable to windshield damage. The best way to avoid these types of windshield issues is to choose a reputable, experienced auto glass business.
When you need windshield replacement or repairs, contact BEAM Auto Glass. Our auto glass repair and replacement business serves drivers in Rock Hill, Fort Mill, Chester, and Lancaster, SC. We’ll even help you find out if you qualify for free windshield replacement through your insurance policy.